Where did fully one-third of 2018 go? I don’t know about you, but to me it seems as though only a couple weeks ago I was enjoying the summer of 2017! With time passing so quickly, it reminded me of the importance of why it is so important to create the exact life you want.
Too many people spend a lifetime imagining the kind of life they’d like instead of taking action and making it happen. For me it all begins with the questions and statements that we humans tell ourselves. Rather than saying…one day I hope I’ll be lucky enough to have a beautiful apartment in the city overlooking the park, its better to tell yourself what you will accomplish and then go about making it happen. Sounds easy… right?
For some people it is. They set a goal, focus on the task, work incrementally to achieve it, and never stop until the results are realized. But what if you are a scatter brain? What if you have trouble staying focused? What if you always somehow end up quitting before the final reward? Here’s five things I’ve used along the way to reach my goals that I hope will help you.
1. Wake up every day and promise yourself you’ll make this day a meaningful one.
Your success will be determined by the routine you follow – make sure you set the agenda for the day and fully complete it before the day ends.
2. I’m a big believer in focus. Focus for me is more important than intelligence as I have witnessed many an intelligent person who barely achieves anything because they never focus.
3. Relationships matter. It is extremely important in life and in business to have great partners. When you have a great partner (or partners) it helps you go beyond any range or limit you yourself may have.
4. If you want to reach the top, build and surround yourself with Grade A team. If you don’t spend time learning from those that you consider mentors, you’ll remain mediocre.
5. When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging. I like to go for a walk along the beach and listen to the waves as it clears my mind. When you hear the words, “But we have always done it this way,” ignore them.
What I’m Enjoying:
We’re spending more and more time building corporate relationships with other agricultural entities as our CFO, Alain Romero, and our Private Wealth Advisor, Scott Thomas focus on corporate development. My recent visit to Guatemala to visit the office of The Rainforest Alliance was most intriguing. I toured several farms, forests, and even the world’s largest managed Biosphere.
Quote of the Month:
“Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out” – John Wooden
Book I’m Reading:
Half Time – Moving from Success to Significance – by Bob Buford.
This book should be read by people in both halves of their lives. It challenges the reader to take action, and in taking that action, to service themselves, their families, and their communities.
Video of the Month:
A very dear friend of mine shared this amazing video with me last month and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
I hope you’re enjoying “Retaining The Edge” and that you’ll share with me some of the things you find helpful when you face challenges and disappointments.
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for reading! Make every day a terrific day.